Nasi Kuning (Indonesian Yellow Rice)
Topped with fried egg and a hot dog on the side. Nasi kuning is a popular rice dish in Southeast Asia, especially in the Southeast Asia regions. The rich golden yellow color is perfect to celebrate special occasion such as birthday, wedding, baby shower, etc
- 2 cups of jasmine rice
- 2 cups of coconut milk. Before opening a can of coconut milk, shake the can of coconut milk first so that it will mix well because sometimes the coconut milk and water in the can are separated.
- 1 cup of boiling water. Use boiling water only because it makes the turmeric powder and coconut milk combine really well so that the rice will be uniformly cooked in coconut milk and yellow in color.
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 lemongrass, white part only and smashed it to release the oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 kaffir lime leaves or if you cannot find them, use lime zest from 1 lime
- fried onions to taste
- sliced omelette. To make it look pretty, after you cook the omelette, roll the omelette tightly first before slicing it.
How to Prepare
- Add rice, boiling water, coconut milk, turmeric powder, lemon grass, bay leaves, salt, and kaffir lime leaves in the rice cooker. Stir it with a fork so that coconut milk and water are well combined and the liquid becomes uniformly yellow from the turmeric powder. Leave it for half hour.
- After half an hour, turn on the rice cooker. You may want to check after 15 min cooking in the rice cooker to make sure the rice and liquid are still uniformly yellow. If not, stir it with a fork but make sure you don’t stir it too much.
- After 25 min cooking in the rice cooker, check to make sure the liquid is not almost gone while the rice is still hard. If that happens, drizzle on top of the rice about 2 tablespoons of water so that the rice can cook further.
- Once the rice cooker is done, check to make sure the rice is fully cooked. If not add about 2 tablespoons of water in the rice cooker and start the rice cooker again so that the rice can finish the cooking. In my rice cooker, I don’t need to add any additional liquid at all other than the 2 cups of coconut milk and 1 cup of water that are added in the beginning, i.e. those coconut milk and water are sufficient to fully cook the rice. However, I am not sure about other rice cookers since there might be some variatons from 1 rice cooker brand to another. I also didn’t need to stir the rice and liquid during the cooking process and the rice comes out uniformly yellow.
- Serve the rice while it is still warm, top it with fried onion, and serve it with egg and Pinoy Kitchen Jumbo Hot Dog